Our Food Future
One in six families in our community is food insecure. The cost of healthy food has increased 27% in eight years. Yet, in Canada we throw away roughly one-third of our food. This has enormous economic and environmental impacts.
We imagine a food system where everyone can access nutritious food, nothing is wasted, and the impact on our environment is minimal. We imagine a system where food experts and entrepreneurs come together to tackle our most complex food challenges.
Guelph/Wellington will become Canada’s first technology-driven Circular Food Economy with three bold goals:
- 50% increase in access to affordable, nutritious food;
- 50 new circular food businesses, collaborations and social enterprises; and
- 50% increase in economic revenues by reducing and reimagining our food waste.
Working together, we will share our ideas, data and technology solutions to move from the current “take-make-dispose” system to a sustainable and thriving food economy that contributes new jobs, and values our planet, health, equity and dignity for everyone.
Our steering committee
Our Growing list of Champions
- 10C Shared Space
- Ag Energy Co-operative
- Beef Farmers of Ontario
- Bioenterprise Corporation
- Biomimicry Frontiers
- Community Engaged Scholarship Institute – UofG
- Family and Children’s Services
- Family Counselling and Support Service G-W
- Goodleaf Community Farms Ltd.
- Greenbelt Microgreens
- Guelph Community Health Centre
- Guelph Family Health Team
- Guelph Neighbourhood Support Coalition
- Innovation Guelph
- Invest in Guelph
- Katan Kitchens
- Lakeside Hope House
- Ontario Federation of Agriculture
- Oreka Solutions
- Organic Meadow
- Public Health Wellington-Dufferin-Guelph
- Taste Real
- The Guelph Community Foundation
- The Seed
- Toque Ltd.
- United Way Guelph-Wellington-Dufferin
- Wellington-Waterloo Community Futures
- Workforce Planning Board of Waterloo Wellington Dufferin
- YMCA-YWCA of Guelph
- Yorklands Green Hub