Increasing Revenues By Recognizing The Value Of “Waste”
We’ve Got What It Takes
Working together and using use smart technology and big data, we will move from the current “take-make-dispose” model to a food system that better serves our people, our prosperity and our planet.
Increase circular economic revenue by 50% by 2025 by recognizing the value of “waste”
Our vision is to re-imagine, re-use and revalue the inputs and outputs of our food ecosystem—maximizing their use, eliminating waste, finding the most cost-effective returns and reducing negative environmental impacts.
- Work with Provision Coalition to help public food and beverage organizations to re-invent their processes and business models
- Educate Guelph-Wellington residents on the real cost of food waste through a public awareness campaign
- Explore adding a “social currency” to current carbon credit sales that could be used to support a green local economy
- Use data collected from Guelph’s residential waste carts to determine how we can make better use of food by-products
What else is happening in Guelph-Wellington?
- Arrell Food Institute: research to produce enough food for the growing human population, while sustaining the ecosystems on which we depend
- Carbon offsets: capturing and destroying methane at landfill and monetizing the resulting credits by selling carbon offsets
- Provision Coalition: assisting food and beverage manufacturers to assess their sustainability challenges in order to increase efficiencies and minimize food waste