Don’t Toss Those Pumpkin Seeds
Circle-back and Create a Delicious Vegan Pumpkin Mousse
Nourish by 10C presents a new vegan full-circle pumpkin mousse dessert.
It’s chewy, crunchy and velvety smooth, not to mention that 66% of the ingredients (by weight) have been diverted from entering the landfill.
The problem of food waste is multidimensional and challenging, but research suggests its undeniably and crucial for all of us to understand how, where, when, and why it occurs. Understanding the depth of the issue will build our city's capacity to develop sustainable solutions and create positive social and environmental change.
Did you Know:
- 58% of all food produced is lost or wasted in Canada (Nikkel et al., 2019).
- $49 billion is the estimated cost associated with lost and wasted food (Nikkel et al., 2019).
- $1,766 per household is the annual cost of avoidable food loss and waste in Canada (Nikkel et al., 2019).
Food Loss VS Food Waste
Food loss is associated with the discarding of livestock, crop, edible commodities throughout the production and procession chain. It's anything that's incinerated and disposed of which does not re-enter the supply chain until the retail level (FAO, 2019). In comparison, food waste occurs during storage, transportation, and processing. In all, it's everything from retail to the final consumption and demand stages (FAO, 2019).
Decreasing the amount of food loss and waste is an important Sustainable Development Goal mandated by the United Nations. It is a means of not only promoting food security, but also supporting nutritional and environmental sustainability, and economic prosperity.
Nourish by 10C
Kim England, our Zero-Waste Community Food Lead, believes that though food waste is a recalcitrant problem, it should not intimidate or deter us from challenging norms, pursuing new ideas, and pave the way for the next generation. This is why she designed the Vegan Pumpkin Mousse dessert to be both delicious and planet-friendly.
- Mousse- Halloween pumpkins, coconut cream, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, salt, maple syrup, with a hint of vegan butter.
- Crust- spent grain (from Fixed Gear Brewing), dates, tahini, salt, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon.
- Vegan Coconut ‘Bacon’- Flaked coconut, maple syrup, liquid hickory smoke, salt.
- Candied Pumpkin Seeds- pumpkin seeds (saved from the post-Halloween pumpkin), maple syrup, vegan butter, salt.
- Coconut cream- coconut cream, vanilla, maple syrup.
Kim England, Community Food Lead at Nourish at 10C, a kitchen that helps!
Nikkel, L., Maguire, M., Gooch, M., Bucknell, D., LaPlain, D., Dent, B., Whitehead, P., Felfel, A. (2019). The Avoidable Crisis of Food Waste: Roadmap; Second Harvest and Value Chain Management International; Ontario, Canada.
FAO. (2019). The State of Food and Agriculture 2019. Moving forward on food loss and waste reduction. Rome. https://doi.org/10.4060/CA6030EN
Van Bemmel, A., Parizeau, K. (2020). Is it food or is it waste? The materiality and relational agency of food waste across the value chain. Journal of Cultural Economy, 13(2), 207–220. https://doi.org/10.1080/17530350.2019.1684339